I am sharing more today about expanding my Capsule Pajama wardrobe. I shared an introduction to this adventure in this post. The pattern that I’m talking about today is the Hudson Pants by True Bias. In the previous post I shared about my wearable muslin. In today’s post I will be sharing about two additional pairs of pants that I’ve made.
The parameters that I included for these pants for my #capsulepajamas project are:
- Use knit fabrics.
- Use patterns in stash (the Hudson pants became a part of my pattern stash after the last post).
- Sew with fabrics that are within my capsule colors. Black is one of the colors that I’ve picked for my color palette. The oatmeal color is straying a bit from the palette that I shared in this post, but it’s a neutral color so I thought it would be fun to throw in.
(Disclaimer, The fabrics share in this post were a part of my Fabric Ambassador* project and were given to me to share with you. I selected the colors and fabric base and the opinions that I’m sharing are my own.)
Size: View A, I started with a size 8 at the waist and graded up to a 10 at the hips down through the cuff.
Fabric: Oatmeal Baby French Terry and Black Baby French Terry. Both are the same fabric base but one is an oatmeal color and the other is a lovely black tone. The fabric is quite soft and has a lovely drape. If you haven’t worked with baby french terry yet, I’d highly recommend you give it a try! Think terry cloth fabric but the baby terry has a finer loop structure on the wrong side of the fabric so it is softer and has a very nice drape.
Pattern: The one change that I made to these two pairs of pants (from the pattern) is that I lengthened the leg 1.5″. I don’t enjoy wearing pants that feel too short, so I enjoyed this length for a little extra fabric in the legs.
The fabric that I picked is super soft and has amazing drape but it ended up being slightly thin for pants that I would wear out of the house. They make super comfortable pajama pants (and would be comfortable to wear in warmer weather) but I would stick with thicker fabrics for pants that I would wear out of the house (like regular French Terry or Ponte Roma fabrics).
I sewed the black pair of pants first and then the oatmeal pair second. With the drape being so high on this fabric, I found as I was sewing the black version that the pocket was a bit challenging to smoothly sew to the waistband. As I started the second pair in the oatmeal fabric I decided to add white stretch interfacing on the wrong side of the pocket pieces to help stabilize the pockets. This helped make a much smoother finish at the waistband (although you can see that the pockets look slightly thicker through the pants in the photos).
Future plans with the fabric: I would love to try the baby french terry fabric again in a different application. I think a top would be quite lovely or even a flowy dress would be a fun application as well.
Future plans with the pattern: I have not sewn this pattern yet in a woven fabric. I have a pair of commercial pants that I purchased at a thrift store that I’m saving to make a future pair of these pants. I also haven’t tried making View B (the ankle version) and I think that would be quite fun to make a shorter/capri length for spring.
I will say, this pattern has been quite a surprise to me. Initially I didn’t think it was for me and now I’ve become quite obsessed with it. That is a great reminder to me, branch out and try new styles from time to time.
*As a Simply by Ti Fabric Ambassador I receive complementary fabric from the Simply By Ti shop to use for a project to write about and share with you.
5 thoughts on “Hudson Pants by True Bias with Simply by Ti fabrics”
Oh I bet the baby french terry made your Hudson pants so comfy! I love the Hudson pattern, it’s my favorite for comfortable pants!
Thank you Jennie! That is so fun to hear that you’ve enjoyed it so much as well!! They are so soft and drapey. This was my first time working with a baby french terry, which was a fun surprise.
LikeLiked by 1 person
These are lovely! Great work!